|Frequently Asked Questions|
Below you will find answers to some of the questions most frequently asked of the OSHEAN team. If you have other questions not answered here, please do not hesitate to contact us.
1. How do I become a member of OSHEAN?
OSHEAN’s membership is automatic when the Community Anchor Institution subscribes to OSHEAN IP Services.
2. What does it cost to be an OSHEAN member?
There is no separate membership fee. The membership fee is built in to the IP Services charge.
3. How can I maximize my use of the OSHEAN network against my current budget?
OSHEAN services are highly competitive. Because of the unique multiservice use model, aggregating multiple services such as site to site VPN, Internet and cloud services on the same fiber links provides the best utilization of budget dollars. OSHEAN technical personnel are extremely well versed in helping architect strong returns on investments for Network and Cloud Services.
4. Does OSHEAN have the ability to provide training or workshops on how to use advanced Internet and cloud services?
OSHEAN regularly provides training in a variety of service areas. Each month, OSHEAN holds “First Friday” forums which detail a specific service or relevant technology of interest to our membership. OSHEAN also holds quarterly CIO forums and an annual member forum.
5. How does OSHEAN enable collaboration with other institutions?
OSHEAN facilitates collaboration in a variety of ways. We detail member profiles and case studies for specific applications and provide user groups for members who are interested in a particular service domain such as cloud.
6. How is our research data protected when transmitted by OSHEAN?
OSHEAN’s fiber based IP network is secure and private between member locations.
7. Does OSHEAN support private cloud services?
The OSHEAN Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) is a state of the art and comprehensive cloud offering for Compute on demand (IaaS), storage-on-demand (STaaS) and Desk as a Service (DaaS). Each of these services operate over the OSHEAN Private Beacon 2.0 fiber network providing a secure, high performance, private cloud to the OSHEAN membership.
8. Will OSHEAN enable our organization to reduce technology infrastructure costs?
OSHEAN’s VPC is specifically designed to reduce infrastructure costs. Using cloud based virtualization, VPC allows members to purchase compute and storage services on an ongoing operating model, pay-as-you-go basis, thereby vastly reducing capital expenditures.
9. How readily can OSHEAN support deployment of video services?
OSEAN’s VideoCommons service offers a full range of hosted video offerings from streaming and storage to video bridging services.
10. Does OSHEAN provide its members with resources to secure potential funding?
OSHEAN has a history of securing funding through grant agencies and continues to do so. OSHEAN is always open to working with membership to apply for and manage grant opportunities.